Health Ministry Puts In RM30 Billion Budget Request

Health Ministry Puts In RM30 Billion Budget Request

The Ministry of Health has requested a budget of RM30 billion for the upcoming year. Deputy Health Minister Dr Lee Boon Chye said that this amounted to 2.01% of Malaysia’s GDP.

Malaysia’s current health budget stands at RM26.58 billion; which is at 1.87% of GDP. Of that amount, half goes into covering the needs of government hospitals. Dr Lee also said that government spending accounts for 52% of the overall health allocation. With the private sector forming the remainder 48%.

The MOH is targeting expanding its budget to within 4% of GDP in five years. Which Dr Lee is says will bring it within the World Health Organisation’s proposal of between 3.5% and 4%. However, this is still noticeably lower than the recommended 7% of GDP from the WHO.

Healthcare spending will not likely be a huge factor for Pakatan Harapan in Budget 2019, although medical professionals are still concerned about the state of public hospitals. There is a consensus that the government desperately needs to increase spending to keep up with the number of patients, but it looks like any improvements will come incrementally.


Get even more financial clarity with an iMoney account for FREE

We’ve tailored insightful tidbits just for you.

Continue with email

By signing up, I agree to iMoney’s
Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy

Get free weekly money tips!

*Free of charge. Unsubscribe anytime.
newsletter image