A few years back, the mention of passport renewals will be greeted by a series of groans and advice like ‘go early’, ‘be ready to wait in line’, ‘bring snacks’ and so on.
However, what many Malaysians are unaware is that we can now only renew our passport online.
Some are reluctant to go about it online, so many Malaysians are still going to the immigration office only to be informed that they have to apply for the renewal online.
With many Malaysians starting to plan their year end vacations this year, just remember to sort out your passport renewal or application first.
Sure, online application and renewal sounds way easier than queuing up for hours in person under the hot sun. But it still takes some preparation to get your documents and passport photo sorted before you can submit them online.
Those who want to renew their Malaysian passports can only do so through the Immigration Department’s online system.
Exceptions will be made only for senior citizens, people with disabilities, children aged 13 years and under, Haj pilgrims and students, who will still be allowed to apply directly at Immigration counters.
First time applicants will need to go in person to apply with their MyKad (or other identification documents recognised by the government).
Tip: Bring RM200 for the fee, 2 copies of your MyKad, wear dark clothing for the photo and get to the venue by 7am to get a queue number.
Steps to renew your passport online
- Visit the immigration portal and read the terms and conditions.
- Click ‘Setuju’ (to indicate you agree) at the bottom of the page once you are done.
- Next, you will be required to key-in your particulars to enable the system to identify your old passport.
- On the next page, fill in the required particulars accordingly.
- The next step will require you to upload your image. Crop according to the size mentioned.
- Once you are sure with all the information you provided, click ‘Update’.
- You will receive a notification that your application has been accepted: “PERMOHONAN ANDA TELAH DITERIMA”.
- Next up is the payment. Choose your preferred option and proceed to make your payment.
- Once the payment is accepted, you need to print two copies of the receipt; one for your reference and one to bring along when you go to collect your new passport.
- Now that you are done with your online application, you just need to head to the immigration branch you selected for passport collection according to the date and time mentioned in your receipt.
- Hand over the receipt and your old passport after you produce your IC for identification.
- You will receive your new passport and your old one will be invalidated.
You can check your application status here, and should there be any issues with your application you can contact the immigration office at 03-8000 8000.
IMPORTANT! Here’s how to avoid getting your application rejected
You might have to cross a few road bumps on your journey to renew your passport online. Just take note of these pointers to hasten the process!
You can only upload the softcopy of the photo taken in a professional photo shop.
For ladies wearing head cover or hijab, choose dark colours preferably black and make sure your face is clearly visible.
The cropping of the photo done online might not be perfect. If that happens, you will get a call from an immigration officer and you will be asked to bring the hardcopy when you go to collect your new passport.
Normal Application (13 -59 years old) - RM 200; Senior Citizen (60 years and above) - RM100.