Malaysians, Renew Your Passport Online!
A few years back, the mention of passport renewals will be greeted by a series of groans and advice like ‘go early’, ‘be ready to wait in line’, ‘bring snacks’ and so on.
Fast forward a few years, we have got UTCs (Urban Transformation Centres) across Malaysia and the renewal process has improved. However, what many Malaysians are unaware is that we can now only renew our passport online.
Some are reluctant to go about it online, so many Malaysians are still going to the immigration office only to be informed that they have to apply for the renewal online.
Did you know? The online renewal system was introduced back in September 1, 2016 to reduce the congestion at immigration counters nationwide.
Fast forward to 2022. With borders reopening worldwide, Malaysians have been making a beeline to renew their passports after 2 years of lockdown.
Those who want to renew their Malaysian passports can only do so through the Immigration Department’s online system.
Exceptions will be made only for new passport applicants, senior citizens, people with disabilities, children aged 13 years and under, Haj pilgrims and students, who will still be allowed to apply directly at Immigration counters.
Steps to renew your passport online
- Visit the immigration portal and read the terms and conditions.
- Click ‘Setuju’ (to indicate you agree) at the bottom of the page once you are done.
- Next, you will be required to key-in your particulars to enable the system to identify your old passport.
- On the next page, fill in the required particulars accordingly.
- The next step will require you to upload your image. Crop according to the size mentioned.
- Once you are sure with all the information you provided, click ‘Update’.
- You will receive a notification that your application has been accepted: “PERMOHONAN ANDA TELAH DITERIMA”.
- Next up is the payment. Choose your preferred option and proceed to make your payment.
- Once the payment is accepted, you need to print two copies of the receipt; one for your reference and one to bring along when you go to collect your new passport.
- Now that you are done with your online application, you just need to head to the immigration according to the date and time mentioned in your receipt.
- Hand over the receipt and your old passport.
- You will receive your new passport and your old one will be invalidated.
You can check your application status here, and should there be any issues with your application you can contact the immigration office at 03-8000 8000.
IMPORTANT! Here’s how to avoid getting your application rejected
You might have to cross a few road bumps on your journey to renew your passport online. Just take note of these pointers to hasten the process!
You can only upload the softcopy of the photo taken in a professional photo shop.
For ladies wearing head cover or hijab, choose dark colours preferably black and make sure your face is clearly visible.
The cropping of the photo done online might not be perfect. If that happens, you will get a call from an immigration officer and you will be asked to bring the hardcopy when you go to collect your new passport.
Normal Application (13 -59 years old) - RM 200; Senior Citizen (60 years and above) - RM100.