Awesome Deals You Can Get With Your Credit Card
While many consider their credit card(s) as a contingency plan when running low on funds, these little plastic friends are loaded with awesome deals that could help you save on the little things in life (such as yummy dinners or retail therapy).
If you’re afraid of the surcharges when making the swipe, fret not, just take note that Bank Negara Malaysia has clarified that retailers are not allowed to impose such fees.
So, without further ado, here are the current deals that’ll allow you to spend and save.
Overview of the top three cards
Before we dive into the details, let’s check out which credit cards you should stash in your wallet.
We’ve narrowed down the top three cards with benefits handy for the avid driver to the enthusiastic shopper.
|The avid driver|
You spend more
on fuel than on anything else, and you love long-distance driving.
|HSBC Amanah MPower Visa Platinum Credit Card-i||• 8% cashbackat Shell, Caltex, Petronas
and BHP if total monthly spending
is RM2,001 and above.
(2% cashback if
total monthly spending is
RM2,000 and below).
• 0.2% cashback on local spending
on entertainment, dining and shopping.
• 8% cashback at Giant, Tesco, AEON Big
and Mydin if total monthly spending
is RM2,001 and above
(2% for RM2,000 spending
|The average family guy |
You find yourself stocking up on groceries and
eating at home
more often than going out.
You have a car but
at the same time, driving isn’t your
cup of tea.
|Citibank Citi Clear Credit Card||• 1-for-1 free
TGV and GSC movie tickets every Friday.
*for TGV, offer is only applicable for over-the-counter purchases
*for GSC, offer is applicable for both online and over-the-counter purchases
• 1-for-1 drinks at Coffee Bean
and Tea Leaf from Monday until Friday.
You are often spotted at the mall on the hunt for deals because want to
be rewarded every time you spend.
|Maybank 2 Cards|
American Express Cards
|• Earn 5x TreatsPoints in Malaysia or Overseas.
• Get 5% weekend cashback (spending cap of RM50 per month).
• Converts 10,000 TreatsPoints into 1,000 Enrich Miles.
Now, once you’ve decided which one you’d like to sign up for, it’s time to swipe it wisely with these deals that we’ve lined up for you.
1. Go Wave-Surfing in One Utama
Want to try an exciting watersport? The all-new Flowrider in One Utama is a growing sport that takes surfing to a whole new level. Who said you have to hit the beach to surf? Do it indoors.
You can now experience and learn the skills of this fun watersport at a discount. Get 10% off for 1-hour regular rides with Maybank cards.
Terms and conditions
- Payment must be made with Maybank / Maybank Islamic Mastercard, Visa, Debit or Prepaid Card.
- Offer cannot be used in conjunction with other promotions and discount vouchers.
Up to 5% cashback on weekend retail transactionsEarn 5x TreatsPoints in Malaysia or Overseas
2. Save money and book your vacation with Expedia
It’s always good to get away from home and explore other countries. However, finding a good hotel to bunk in could cost you a lot. But now, you can save your hotel bookings when you book with Expedia and your HSBC Card.
With your HSBC credit card, you can enjoy:
- Up to 46% off when you book hotels in Tokyo
- Up to 60% off when you book hotels in Seoul
- Up to 66% off when you book hotels in Bangkok
- Up to 55% off when you book hotels in Taipei
- Up to 44% off when you book hotels in Singapore
- Special deals if you book flight and hotel together
Make sure to make your bookings through http://www.expedia.com.my/hsbc and use promo codes HSBCEXPMY19 for extra 9% off hotel bookings or HSBCEXPMY19PK for RM60 off on flight+hotel bookings.
Terms and Conditions:
- Stay Period until March 31, 2019
- Bookings must be made through the relevant merchant website (as above) to enjoy the offer.
- The offers cannot be used in conjunction with any other discounts, promotions, discounted items and fixed-price items (unless specified).
Click here to find out more.
Get up to 8% cashback everyday on your petrol and groceries spending!
3. Stay trendy and shop at Kipling
Known for its crinkle nylon fabric and monkey key chain, Kipling is both fashionable and functional. Get the latest collection of handbags, backpacks, luggage, wallets, messenger bags, travel accessories at 15% off with when you pay with Maybank Cards. Aside from that, you’ll also receive a complimentary Kipling monkey keychain with minimum purchase of RM350.
This offer is valid from 1 May until 30 April 2019.
Terms and conditions
- Valid at KIPLING boutiques at 1 Utama, Mid Valley, AEON Tebrau Johor and Queensbay Mall Penang only.
- Payment must be made with a Maybank Mastercard®, Visa, American Express® Card, Debit or Prepaid Card.
- Not valid with other promotions, discount cards, loyalty programmes, vouchers and/ or online purchases unless otherwise stated.
- Maybank makes no representation as to the quality, merchantability or the fitness for any purpose of the goods and/or service(s) provided by KIPLING.
- Promotion is subject to KIPLING’s terms & conditions.
For more information click here.
4. Upgrade your watch wardrobe at City Chain
Is it time to change your watch? Why not check out the elegance of OBAKU watches, which are known as minimal, compact and long-lasting for man or woman.
You can enjoy 60% off when you opt to buy the OBAKU watch model V216LXVIMV-R at City Chain with any HSBC/HSBC Amanah credit card. You can also get 10% off Solvil et Titus watches!
This offer is valid until 31st October 2019.
Terms and conditions
- Offer I is valid on normal priced only and not valid with any other on-going promotions, offers, loyalty programs and/or vouchers except for simultaneous use with offer II.
- Offer II is not valid with any other on-going promotions/discount Solvil et Titus watches 20% OFF and above, loyalty programs and/or vouchers except for simultaneous use with offers I.
- Payment must be made with HSBC/HSBC Amanah debit/credit card/-i.
- Offer I is only applicable for the purchase of The OBAKU watch model V216LXVIMV-R and is subject to availability on a first come first served basis.
- City Chain reserves the right to replace the OBAKU model V216LXVIMV-R with any item of equivalent value at anytime and without any prior notice.
- Offers are applicable at all City Chain outlets in Malaysia.
- City Chain Terms & Conditions apply.
5. Visit the good ol’ zoo with the family
Take your family out for a fun weekend at Malaysia’s famous Zoo Negara! You’ll be able to see and learn about more than 5,000 specimen of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians and also, check out the adorable pandas!
Maybank cardholders can enjoy 10% off admission tickets from now until April 30, 2019! There is also a family package for 2 adults and 2 children for RM100 (normally priced at RM120!)
Terms and conditions
- Purchase of tickets must be made at Counter 6.
- Payment must be made with a Maybank/ Maybank Islamic MasterCard, Visa, Debit or Prepaid Card.
- Offers cannot be exchanged for cash or used in conjunction with other promotions/offers, coupons/vouchers and loyalty/ privilege cards.
Address: Zoo Negara, Hulu Kelang, 68000 Ampang, Selangor
6. Stay at the Pullman Putrajaya Lakeside
Pullman Putrajaya Lakeside is the epitome of class and heaven of sensory delights. This elegant hotel also has one of the largest signature spa facilities in Malaysia.
Get 20% off best unrestricted online rate when you pay with your Citi Clear credit card. This offer is also applicable in the following countries; Australia, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, Poland, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam.
Terms and conditions
- The offer is valid till 28 June 2019.
- All room bookings are subject to room availability and payment must be made using the Citibank card.
- All reservations must be guaranteed with a Citibank card valid at the date of the start of your stay unless otherwise specified.
- Prices quoted are subject to prevailing GST and not valid for groups with more than 20 persons.
- No cancellation is allowed 3 days or less prior to arrival date. Beyond that time, the first night will be charged.
- All rates are subject to heritage tax, tourism tax and other taxes where applicable.
- This offer is not valid with other promotional programs, offers, discounts, vouchers or privilege cards.
7. Get RM500 Lazada vouchers with HSBC
You’re going to be shopping online anyway, so why not get a discount? Lazada is offering RM500 e-vouchers when you apply and spend with a HSBC credit card.
All you have to do is apply for HSBC credit card. When you receive it, activate your card to claim your RM500 Lazada e-Voucher when you spend RM2,000 and above within 60 days from the date of your welcome letter.
Terms and conditions
- Sign up period is from 1 January 2019 to 31 December 2019.
- Each Eligible Cardholder is entitled to receive a maximum of one (1) unit of RM500 Lazada e-Voucher for each approved participating HSBC Bank Credit Card / HSBC Amanah Credit Card-i.
- The term “HSBC Credit Card” when used herein refers to HSBC Bank Credit Cards and HSBC Amanah Credit Card-i (as applicable).
- Valid from 1 January 2019 to 31 December 2019.
But remember: try not to overspend!
While owning a credit card allows you to make purchases when you don’t have enough funds for the month, it can pose a serious threat to your earnings if you don’t watch your limit.
Avoid increasing your spending limit as you could end up overspending. Impulse purchases are your fiend, not your friend because it may seem ideal for now, but you could end up deep in debt long-term. You can read further about the dangers of an increased limit here.
Former Deputy Finance Minister Datuk Lee Chee Leong revealed that Malaysians had an outstanding balance of RM36.8 billion on their credit cards. He stated a total of 845 people were declared bankrupt due to unpaid card debt in the first half of 2017!
Fret not, with the right ground rules, you can still retain your financial health.
Here are a few tips you can practice:
- Spend what you can pay
Avoid using your card for items you cannot afford to pay back within the next month. Limit yourself to only the necessities such as groceries and fuel to avoid heavy interest rates.
- Pay on time
Always pay your credit card on time because credit card interest is in the range of 15% to 17%, and it is revolving debt. This could also reflect on your credit score, which could affect any bank applications in the future.
- Pick a card with rewards
If we haven’t stressed it already, cards with rebates are your best pick. You can get cashbacks on necessities you utilise monthly, as listed in the top three cards above.
Remember, the tip is to spend wisely. If you keep within your budget and take advantage of the credit card benefits, you can spend and save easily.