2016: Top Valentine’s Day Ideas For Malaysians
Valentine’s Day may be drowned by the sea of red and gold of Chinese New Year this year, but it is fast approaching, and if you are not prepared, it may turn out to be a painful and expensive affair.
Though many couples swore off Valentine’s Day saying it’s too commercialised, but many other couples still hold this day for its importance in expressing their love for each other. And the pressure is high, unfortunately, usually on the guy, to make it a special celebration.
With cost of everything going one way (read: up), celebrating this romantic day can burn a serious hold in your pocket if you fail to plan for it carefully.
Here are some of the most common Valentine’s Day ideas for Malaysians, and how much it will likely cost you this year. But being iMoney, we have also included some saving tips on how you can save some bucks so you, your loved one, and your wallet, can celebrate happily when February 14 comes around!
Valentine’s Day flowers
For centuries, flowers have symbolised fertility, love, marriage and romance and all these do not come for cheap on Valentine’s Day. V-day isn’t quite complete without a beautiful bouquet of flowers, most popular being roses.
Red roses, for instance, typically represent love and romance, and have been a powerful symbol of passion for many cultures through the ages. This is undoubtedly the most common, and also expected gift that you can get for your girlfriend or wife.
If you do not have 12 stalks of roses blooming in your garden, and your loved one is expecting some kind of floral arrangement, it is best to leave the job to the experts.
A single rose cost RM15, but if you want to make a good impression, a 12-rose bouquet will set you back by about RM180.
Credit card to bring along:
Get 5% cash rebate if you purchase your flowers via an e-commerce site using the
CIMB Cash Rebate Platinum Card.
Valentine’s Day gift ideas
Unlike other special occasions that require gifts, V-day gifts are slightly different. It needs to be thoughtful and heartfelt – basically, the gift needs to symbolise your love for your partner.
However, if you absolutely have no idea what to get for him or her, you can always count on sweet and cuddly gifts like a box of chocolate and a furry teddy bear. Unless your better half hates chocolate or furry soft toys, these are easily some of the safest gifts if you run out of ideas.
- A box of Godiva Valentine’s Day Chocolate Gift Box (8 pieces) costs RM99
- A box of Royce Valentine’s Assortment Chocolate (31 pieces) costs RM138.00
- An 80cm teddy bear costs around RM30 to RM60, while a giant 6-feet teddy costs around RM250 on Lazada.
Saving tip: You can save some cash and make it more personalised by buying the normal chocolate from Godiva or Royce, and wrapped it up according to the V-day theme. Six pieces of dark chocolate caramel from Godiva cost only RM39, while 40 pieces of Royce’s sweet and milk pure chocolate cost RM53.00.
Valentine’s day romantic dinner
Celebrate with your love by indulging in multicourse dinners and scrumptious sweet treats, while staring at each other’s eyes across candlelight.
It’s true – dining out on Valentine’s Day can be an expensive affair, because you won’t just be paying for the food but also for the beautiful and romantic ambiance in the restaurant of your choice.
Regardless of your budget, we have just the places for you to have your dreamy candlelight dinner at, and also the right credit cards for dining out in Malaysia!
Las Carretas Mexican Restaurant
- Cream of Freshly Made Mushroom Soup Enhanced with Smoked Chicken Bits
- Charbroiled Medallion of Aged-Grass Fed Sirloin Or Baked Chilean Salmon
- Pana Cotta Topped with Blueberry
- Coffee or Tea
RM 95++ per pax (Inclusive of photo taking one photo/couple)
- 22, Persiaran Ampang, 55000 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel.: +603 42571668
- Lot B-0-7 Semantan Avenue, 10 Jalan Semantan, Damansara Heights, 50490 Kuala Lumpur
Tel.: +603 20930380
- No 29 USJ 10/1F, 47620 Subang UEP.
Tel.: +603 56373058
La Bodega San Valentín Menu
- Consommé with Mushroom Farce & Sherry
- Lemon Sole with Scallops & Creamy Beetroot
- Braised Beef Cheeks served with Parmesan Parmentier & Vanilla Sauce
- Strawberry Tartare with Cream Cheese & Citronella Soup
RM130+ per pax
- 1, Jalan Telawi, Bangsar Baru, 59100 Kuala Lumpur, Bangsar, Malaysia
Tel.:+60 3-2287 9468
Citibank Clear Credit Card – 20% off food bill at La Bodega Bangsar Baru, with minimum spend of RM200. Valid until February 28, 2016.
- Pan-seared Scallops with Caviar Drizzled with Passion Fruit Sauce
- Grilled Duck Spring Roll
- Creamy Pumpkin Soup with King Prawn
- Deep-fried Soft Shell Crab with Avocado and Green Curry Sauce
- Pan-seared Cod in Orange Sauce
- Stir-fried Tiger Prawns with Crispy Garlic
- Steamed Fragrant Jasmine Rice/Thai Brown Rice
- Pink Diamonds (Water Chestnut with Glutinous Rice) served with Coconut Ice Cream
RM280++ per pax
- Upper Level, Jalan 1, Taman Tun Abdul Razak, Ampang
Tel: +603 4256 9300
Maybank 2 Cards American Express – Enjoy 5% cash back on weekend dining with your Amex card!
Nook @Aloft KL Sentral
- Bleeding hearts mosaic of watermelon hearts, black olives, feta cheese, pickled shallots and broken beetroot vinaigrette
- Paprika-seared scallops
- Raspberry sorbet intermezzo
- Rosemary-crusted lamb chops
- Dark chocolate tart
RM300 nett for two pax
- No. 5 Jalan Stesen Sentral, Kuala Lumpur, 50470
Tel.: +603 2723 1188
- UOB Visa Infinite & Lady’s Solitaire World MasterCard – 40% off total bill excluding alcohol. Valid until March 31, 2016
- CIMB Cash Rebate Platinum – 25% off total bill excluding alcohol. Valid until May 31, 2016.
- HSBC Amanah MPower Platinum Credit Card-i – 35% off total bill excluding alcoholic beverages. Valid until July 31, 2016.
Prego, The Westin Kuala Lumpur
- Sicilian Roasted Cherry Tomatoes Soup with Crispy ‘Mazzara del Vallo’ Red Prawn and Basil Emulsion
- Home Made Squid Ink Ravioli-stuffed with Australian Red Snapper and Italian Burrata Cheese, Aurora Sauce, Dehydrated Leek and Caviar
- Boston Lobster Gratin with Fresh Italian Herbs, Porcini Mushrooms Sauce
- Slow-Cooked Beef Cheek
- Sauteed Artichokes, Truffle Scented Red Desire Potato Mash, Braised Red Cabbage, Glazed Pear Pearls
- Semi Frozen White Chocolate Cream, Osmanthus Jelly & Lychee Compote
RM298 nett per pax (food only)
- 199, Jalan Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur, 55100.
Tel.: +603 2731 8333
Going on a retreat is a great way to celebrate your love for each other – if your budget allows. Whether it’s a getaway nearby in the city, or away on an island, the idea of a couple retreat will definitely help rekindle the passion between you and your love.
Here are some awesome deals you can find in town and out of town, and with the right credit cards you don’t have to bleed from your wallet.
Swiss-Garden Hotel & Residences Kuala Lumpur
Give the city a different spin by booking a short getaway in town with your loved one. Nestled in the hustle and bustle of city centre, you can pretend to be a tourist for a weekend and enjoy shopping in Bukit Bintang, and taste yummy street delicacies, all within walking distance.
- 117, Jalan Pudu, 55100 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Tel.: 603 2785 1111
HSBC Visa Platinum – Enjoy two attractive offers:
- Hotel stay: Enjoy a 2-day-1-night stay in a Deluxe Room at only RM218 ++ per night (Normal Price: RM470++)
- Residences stay: Enjoy a 2-day-1-night stay in a Deluxe 1-bedroom at only RM268++ per night (Normal Price: RM750)
* T&C apply.
The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, Langkawi
Whether you’re looking for the perfect romantic Valentine’s weekend for two, or just a place to relax and indulge with each other, an island is one of the best places to rekindle the passion with your partner. You don’t have to go far (with the current exchange rate, it is best to stay in Malaysia!), Langkawi Island offers all the sun, sea and surf you need – not to mention duty-free shopping!
Jalan Teluk Datai, 07000 Langkawi, Kedah, Malaysia.
Tel.: +604 959 1088
The Westin, Kuala Lumpur
Pamper yourself and your love with a luxurious stay in the heart of the city. Escape the drudgery of daily life (and possibly some time away from the little ones) by booking yourself and your partner a weekend away (but not too far away) at The Westin Kuala Lumpur.
- 199, Jalan Bukit Bintang, Bukit Bintang, 55100 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan.
Tel.: +603 2731 8333
- Citibank Rewards Platinum Card – Get 25% off the Best Available Rates for rooms with complimentary breakfast using the Promo Code: SEACITI.
- CIMB World MasterCard – Enjoy 20% off the Best Available Rates for room stay. Valid until May 31, 2016.
- MasterCard – Enjoy the third night free at participating Starwood hotels and resorts with MasterCard. Valid until February 14, 2016. Applicable for weekends stay only.
Lone Pine, Penang
An idyllic boutique hotel situated along Batu Feringghi, Lone Pine offers the peace and tranquillity to you and your loved one. Away from the noise and the humdrum of your daily life, relaxing at the beach and pampering yourself and your love at Lone Pine sounds like a perfect getaway this Valentine’s Day.
- 97, Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island 11100.
Tel.: +604 886 8686
UOB ONE Card Platinum – 15% off best available rates. Valid until September 30, 2016.
Whichever way you plan to celebrate your day, or perhaps you plan to do all of the above, planning ahead is always the better financial practice. Find out how much your budget for V-day is, and plan according to your budget. Arm with the credit cards that bring you the most value – be it in dining, shopping or travel – and you will be able to save some money while pampering yourself and your sweetheart!