Making an insurance claim after a car accident
What should you do when you’re involved in a serious car accident that requires you to file a police report and make an insurance claim? In this quick guide, we’ll show you the necessary steps you should take if you find yourself in one:
Step-by-Step Guide in Making an Insurance Claim
1. Immediately after the accident, make a quick assessment of the damage to your vehicle. Ascertain if it’s road-worthy. If it’s not, call your insurance hot-line and request for help to get a tow truck.
NOTE: your car insurance policy will only cover repairs made at a panel workshop. For peace of mind, always wait for the agents/tow trucks assigned by your insurance company so they know exactly which workshop to bring your car to. Do NOT enlist the service of third-party insurance agents/tow truck operators who will opportunistically arrive at the scene within minutes.
- Take pictures of accident site as well as the vehicles involved in the accident.
- Take down the particulars of the vehicles (registration number, car make and model, colour) involved in the accident.
- Exchange personal details with the drivers involved in the accident (full name, MyKad number, driver license number, contact details).
- Proceed to the police station within 24 hours starting from the time of accident. Take note that your tow truck operator (if you enlisted one) should be towing your car to the police station and not straight to the workshop.
- Make a police report at the police station. Your vehicle will be inspected and photographed by the police. Make sure you get a copy of the police report before you leave.
- Now, drive or get your car towed to a panel workshop.
- At the workshop, work with the administrative personnel to complete your notification / claim procedures with the insurance company. Generally, you will need these documents:
- A copy of the police report
- Your vehicle registration card
- Your insurance policy / cover note
- A copy of MyKad and driving licence of the vehicle owner
- A copy of MyKad and driving licence of the driver involved in the accident
- Thereafter, you can allow the personnel in charge of your case to take over. But do make sure you follow up closely over the next few weeks until the claim has been made and the vehicle is back safely in your hands.
Note: It really helps when you have comprehensive car insurance cover (instead of the cheaper third-party insurance cover). With a comprehensive car insurance policy, you get everything from tow service, roadside assistance to more inclusive damage coverage, which really does save you a ton of headache in the event of an accident.
Time for you to renew your car insurance? Find the best car insurance in town and complete your car insurance renewal process for FREE directly on our car insurance comparison table.