Understanding Credit Card Interest-free Period


There is no denying the importance of making full payments if one wishes to be free from debt, but a February 2012 survey conducted by Nielsen, a leading global information and measurement company, revealed that only 47% of Malaysian credit card holders make full repayments every month leaving 53% of cardholders burdened with interest payments.

The same survey also reported that only 18% of Malaysians pay the minimum 5% payment every month while another 15% pay more than the minimum amount. However, merely paying more than the minimum amount is not enough – to avoid being charged for interest, one needs to make full payment every month.

While there are many unavoidable factors that contribute to one’s inability to make full payments every month; the lack of understanding of how a credit card’s interest free period should not be one of them.

What is interest free period?

A credit card’s interest free period is a period in which if full payment is made within that period, the cardholder will not incur interest charges.

The most important point to note here is that payment must be made in full, thus interest free periods do not apply for partial payments.

CC Statement Example 2

How long is the interest free period?

Most credit cards in Malaysia offer a 20-day interest free grace period for all retail purchases. Using the above credit card statement example, the payment due date after taking the 20-day interest free grace period into account would be on August 3.

Paying off the full outstanding amount of RM3,000 before August 3 will not incur any interest charges.

But what if the outstanding balance isn’t repaid in full?

The amount of you decide to pay on your credit card balance is entirely up to you, and there is no requirement for you to settle any individual transactions in full. Using the example above, making partial payment of RM2,500 will settle the first two transactions in full but will only partially settle the last transaction (i.e. transaction 1 and 2 is settled in full but transaction 3 has an outstanding balance of RM500).

Reducing your outstanding balance in such a manner however, results in you losing your interest free period and gives rise to interest charges.

Calculation of interest is as follows:

Interest Calculation 2

The above calculation illustrates that when making partial payments:

  • Interest free period is not applicable
  • Interest of 15% will be imposed on each individual transaction beginning from the date each transaction is posted
  • Interest is imposed on the total outstanding balance as of June 15 (RM3,000) even though only RM500 remains outstanding

What can you do to minimise credit card debt?

Here are a few ways to avoid raking up huge credit card debt:

  • Pay cash for small purchases
  • Use a debit card
  • Only charge a purchase to your credit card if you intend to pay in full at the end of the month
  • Transfer outstanding balance to a credit card that offers a lower interest rate (fees may apply)
  • If you are overwhelmed with insurmountable credit card debt, seek free debt management aid from AKPK

Source: Agensi Kaunseling dan Pengurusan Kredit

Find out how much you can save with balance transfer


Suffering from credit card interest rate? Find out why here.

Planning to make use of your credit card’s 0% Easy Payment Plan? Find out what are the things you need to know about this plan here.

Leave your comment