Your 2022 Guide To Travel Insurance With Covid-19 Coverage
Travel insurance used to be considered as something that involved extra expenses if you have spare cash left over after paying for airline tickets and hotel rooms. For most of us, when it is finally time for that long-awaited overseas vacation or business trip, the last thing you want to think about is things going wrong.
Fast forward to 2022 and with borders opening up around the world, travel insurance is no longer something that you can choose not to buy. In fact, many countries require travellers to have some form of Covid-19 travel insurance, or at the very least pay for their Covid-19 screening and quarantine costs before they are allowed to enter.
How COVID-19 has changed travel insurance
The world has made much progress in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic. However, there are still some lingering risks, especially with the potential for new waves or strains to pop out of nowhere.
Travellers may find themselves completely stuck if their host country experiences a sudden spike in COVID-19 cases. The pandemic has proven itself to be highly unpredictable. As such, lockdowns can occur in the blink of an eye. Travellers who find themselves stranded in a strange and foreign land will find that travel insurance can help to cover these extra unforeseen costs.
In order to make it simple, we have compiled a list of travel insurance with Covid-19 coverage that Malaysians can buy.
Travel insurance with COVID-19 coverage
|Provider||Medical Coverage (RM)||COVID-19 Coverage (RM)||Evacuation & Repatriation (RM)||Personal Accident (RM)||Hospital Income/Allowance (RM)|
|AIG||Up to 1 million||Up to 700,000||Up to 20 million||Up to 400,000||7700/day|
|AXA||Up to 300,000||Included in Medical Coverage||Unlimited||Up to 500,000||Up to 21,000 total|
|Berjaya SOMPO||Up to 500,000||Included in Medical Coverage||Up to 250,000||Up to 250,000||Up to 10,000/day|
|ETIQA||Up to 500,000||Up to 300,000||Up to 1.5 million||Up to 500,000||350/day|
|MSIG||Up to 500,000||Up to 450,000||Up to 1 million||Up to 500,000||350/day|
|Tune Protect||Up to 300,000||Up to 250,000||Up to 500,000||Up to 300,000||350/day|
AIG travel insurance policies offer a wide range of benefits. For medical coverage, AIG covers hospitalisation expenses incurred up to RM1 million, as well as providing a travel assistance team that is on call to provide emergency help and advice.
- Up to RM400,000 paid out if customers suffer from an accidental death or permanent disablement during their trip.
- Covers transport & accommodation costs due to trip cancellations, as well as extra expenditures as a result of travel inconveniences or natural disasters.
- If the customer is diagnosed with COVID-19, AIG will provide COVID-19 coverage including medical and emergency evacuation & repatriation expenses up to RM700,000, travel cancellation, travel curtailment and quarantine allowance benefits.
AXA has recently introduced its Smart Traveller Enhanced package to complement its other travel insurance offerings. The package provides the option to add on their Pandemic Cover scheme for overseas trip to cover trip cancellation, trip curtailment, medical, hospital and treatment expenses, hospital allowance, emergency medical evacuation, emergency medical repatriation and repatriation of mortal remains if they are diagnosed with a pandemic illness, especially COVID-19 related cases.
- Up to RM300,000 in overseas emergency medical, hospital and dental expenses.
- Hospital Allowances up to RM10,500 (or RM350/day for overseas travel).
- Compensation for trip delays, cancellations, and curtailments, reimbursements for damaged baggage and trip inconveniences up to RM7,500.
- Unlimited emergency medical transportation.
SOMPO’s TravelSafe insurance plan is a comprehensive travel insurance that covers customers against any injury, illness, accident, and travel inconvenience during their Trip. The plan is split up into 3 different Elite packages with medical and hospital expense compensation that can range from RM150,000 to RM500,000 depending on the package chosen.
- All COVID-19 related cases are also covered under the TravelSafe plan.
- Reimbursements for compassionate visits, child care, hospital allowance, COVID-19 quarantine allowance, and follow-up treatment upon return to Malaysia.
- Comes bundled with Emergency evacuation and repatriation, along with personal accident coverage.
- Covers travel inconveniences including loss of baggage, baggage delay, travel delays, re-routings, cancellations, travel curtailment, loss of deposits, missed departures, personal liability, and more.
ETIQA offers 3 unique plans for customers, TripCare 360 (Overseas), SingBorder Travel (For trips to Singapore), and Travel Ezy (Domestic). There is also a Takaful option for each of these packages. Under the TripCare 360 scheme, beneficiaries receive a cashless medical coverage plan allowing for hospital admittance via a letter of guarantee obtainable through a 24/7 hotline.
- Additional add-on for COVID-19 coverage (areas that are classified as level 4 risk by the CDC will not be covered).
- Up to RM5,000 for loss or damage to baggage, money, travel documents, and personal belongings.
- Compensation of up to RM100 for flights that are delayed by no more than 2 hours.
- Features add-on options for adventurous activities and a 25% rebate when purchasing this plan online.
MSIG TravelRight Plus Insurance is a comprehensive insurance that provides compensation for mishaps and covered events during your journey within the policy period. Customers can opt for a short-term policy for a single trip or an annual policy to cover an unlimited number of trips in a policy year. Depending on the plan chosen, customers can get up to RM500,000 insured on medical expenses. COVID-19 coverage comes in the form of an add-on package.
- COVID add-on includes up to RM450,000 insured COVID-19 coverage and up to RM500,000 in medical evacuation and repatriation expenses.
- Up to RM100,000 in terms of follow-up treatment once they have returned to Malaysia.
- Includes benefits for luggage delays, reimbursement for luggage loss or damages, travel cancellations, curtailments, and delays.
- Coverage for home damages or losses while customers are away on their trip.
Tune Protect’s Travel Easy COVID Plus Plan is divided into individual and family plans. Under this plan, individuals can get up to RM250,000 insured up to the first 30 days of trip duration, while the family plan can go up to RM750,000 insured. Additionally, the plan also offers a daily quarantine allowance up to RM1,400 in total for individuals and RM4,200 for families.
- Includes emergency overseas evacuation & repatriation, hospital income, compassionate visit, bereavement allowance, compensation for trip curtailment and trip cancellations.
- Offers a COVID Lite Plan which includes RM100,00 in medical expenses for the first 30 days of the trip duration (RM300,000 for families).
- COVID Light Plan includes emergency overseas evacuation & repatriation benefits, but foregoes the other benefits listed within the Plus Plan.
- Both COVID plans include the basic Travel Easy package benefits, but customers are able to purchase the basic plans separately.
*Basic plans do not include COVID-19 coverage.
Why travel insurance is important
Covid-19 aside, we still have to acknowledge that there are plenty of risks involved, ranging from minor to serious.
Here’s why travel insurance should always be considered:
It covers medical emergencies
- Accidents can happen anywhere, so having the assurance that an insurance company will reimburse part of the cost for emergency medical treatment can help put minds at ease.
- Common coverage includes death and permanent disablement, hospitalisation, and medical expenses as well as repatriation.
It covers travel risks
- Travel insurance can also help out with non-medical related emergencies. A fairly common problem that occurs during travel is the loss of a passport or checked-in baggage. These can drain a traveller’s wallet and time if they are not insured.
- At the very least, travel insurance can offer compensation up to a certain limit should such unfortunate circumstances occur.
It covers trip disruptions
- Sometimes, problems can occur that are completely out of a traveller’s hands. Trip cancellations are common occurrences. Your travel Insurance can provide coverage for bookings that are cancelled, and in certain policies, provide compensation for entire trip cancellations.
- Having these risks covered provides a hefty financial safety net.
Whether you are taking a flight overseas, or going on a road trip across the country, it is far better to be safe than sorry.